Central Illinois Foodbank first opened its doors on June 7, 1982. Since that day, we've grown and changed tremendously in our efforts to fight hunger.

Thirty-one years after Central Illinois Foodbank first opened its doors, its mission remains essential: to collect and distribute food to charitable organizations serving people in need. In the beginning, its assets were modest: borrowed warehouse space at a local Franciscan monastery; three dedicated staff members; and 2,000 pounds of apple cobbler mix. But even in its first year of operation, Central Illinois Foodbank managed to distribute some 65,000 pounds of food per month. Today, the Foodbank has increased its capacity greatly, distributing over 8.5 million pounds of food to area feeding agencies in 2013 alone.

In 2013, The Foodbank moved into its new home at 1937 East Cook Street, formerly the home of the Springfield Pepsi-Cola Bottling Company. Donated by the owners of the Pepsi plant, the Faloon Family, the Foodbank increased its square footage from 22,000 square feet to 56,000 square feet, added several cold storage zones, and a volunteer area.

Since moving into the new facility, Central Illinois Foodbank has grown tremendously. Before having a larger facility 70% of salvaged donated product was being diverted to other food banks, due to the lack of space. Now only 9% of that same product is being diverted, allowing for more product to land of the hands of those who are hungry in central and southern Illinois.

Another number that has dramatically increased thanks to more space, is our volunteer hours. Before the move, in fiscal year 2013, we recorded 4,640 volunteer hours. In fiscal year 2016, that number has tripled to 12,512 volunteer hours logged.